Former president Donald Trump’s ally, My Pillow Inc’s CEO Mike Lindell, sued the Justice Department on Tuesday to have his cellphone returned, which FBI agents seized last week.
Lindell filed his lawsuit in federal court in Minnesota, alleging that the agents questioned him about his claims that the 2020 U.S. election was rigged at a fast-food restaurant.
According to the filing, he also wants the Justice Department not to access any data collected from the phone. According to the court filing, the agents then produced a warrant and demanded Lindell surrender his phone.
In a statement last week, the FBI said agents were executing a search warrant authorized by a federal judge but did not provide other details. The FBI and Justice Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
According to Lindell, the seizure prevented him from carrying out his business activities and accessing his funds after his phone was seized on Sept. 13.
“Besides running five businesses from it, I don’t use a laptop or a computer, everything I do is done on that phone,” Lindell said.
Sign up for our daily NEWSLETTER for the top stories from SequentialMatinee curated just for you. You’ll get the latest news and information in your inbox, including politics, weather, entertainment, and more.